Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hack / Planning

Werther is deceptive when you chase him. First thing he does is gets down and rolls, then he kind of wanders around the ring a little bit and I really have to put in a lot of effort just to get a slow canter. The all the sudden. he takes off galloping and bucking like a madman. I'm choosing to think Werther is being smart enough to warm himself up. I warmed up on a loose rein at the walk at trot and worked on really getting Werther to move off my leg. Then I stopped and halted and did framing exersize. I got to the point today where I can get Werther to drop his head without too much effort,now I just need to figure out how to keep him there. I think my problem was I was not relaxing my feel quickly enough once I got him round. He would either pick his head right back up again, or he would not want to move forward. I took a break and cantered for awhile, he was much better today, I tired to stay out of his face as much as possible and just let him relax. I halted and did frame work a few more times and he seemed to get better which gives me hope. 

No comments: